August 2, 2012

Thoughts on the Olympics thus far


 *If you have not watched some Olympic events yet and don't want it to be spoiled, don't read the rest of the way*
First, let me say that I am obsessed with the Olympics. In 1996, I covered an entire wall of my bedroom in pictures of the Magnificent Seven as well as pictures of Amanda Beard and a few other swimmers and a few runners were up there, too. Granted, I was 11 and eleven year olds do weird shit like that but my love for the Olympics has rarely waned (didn’t really watch the 2004 summer games).
 I don’t just love the summer games, I love the winter games as well. Does anyone remember the pairs ice skating scandal in 2002? Shit was cray. There is something about the Olympics that gets to me and I have been crying like I’m an Olympic athlete all week. That being said, here are some of my thoughts on the current games:

  • It goes without saying that the Fab Five are ridiculously cute. Watching them brought back so many memories of the Magnificent Seven. Can we talk about Mckayla Maroney? She’s like the best cheerleader ever. I want her to come to work with me everyday and say encouraging things like, “That was so great” and “I’m so proud”. Besides her ridiculously awesome vaulting skills (still trying to figure out where the judges saw errors) I think she’s such a great asset to the team because of her encouragement. Loved her giving a pep talk in the huddle. 
  •  Can we talk about Jordyn Weiber for a second? I feel bad that she didn’t qualify for the AA and I could go on and on about the injustice  of gymnastics scoring but she didn’t make it so let’s stop talking about her disappointment. I can’t imagine she loves being reminded every 2 minutes that she didn’t qualify. On the other hand, I don’t ever remember hearing about Aly Raisman during the trials and girl is solid as a rock. Can’t wait to watch her tonight.
  • John Orozco is my boy. I am so sad that he didn’t perform as well as he could. Everytime he made a mistake, I felt like crying. He just has a certain appeal, even my husband loves him.
  • Synchronized diving is so fascinating to me. Those ladies and gents are insane. The precision is ridiculous. I did catch this photo with my phone which demonstrates just how hard it is to be perfectly in-sync. The Chinese are pretty much perfect Olympians and even they were a just the smallest smidge off. 

  • Has anyone watched the whitewater kayaking? This is the first time I’ve watched it extensively and whoa, it looks so hard. I saw one kayaker flip over, which I know happens, but she was under for at least 1 minute. The announcers didn’t seem concerned at all. 
  • Beach volleyball is a sport I would fail miserably at performing. Misty May Treanor and Kerri Walsh Jennings are a dynamic duo. Kessy and Ross are fun to watch too but MMT and KWJ are my girls. 
  • Destinee Hooker. Girlfriend could’ve gone a totally different route with a name like that so glad she chose to be beast at volleyball.
  •  Water polo is also a sport I would fail at performing. Maggie Steffens’ Olympic debut was stunning. That game was awesome to watch.
  • Really looking forward to track and field starting. Love me some Lolo Jones.
Have you been watching? Do you love it as much as I do?
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. I have been watching more than usual! I felt so bad for John...he seemed so sad that he disappointed his parents more than anything.

    And I feel bad for Jordyn, but the media needs to get over it and focus on the girls that did qualify!

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig