It is hard to believe how fast time goes. 2015 was a pretty incredible year for us as we welcomed our baby boy into the world! The end of 2015 brought huge change with this addition but I think 2016 is going to be the real year of change. As of now, I am staying home full-time with our son and leaving behind my job and my master's degree program... for now. It was certainly a tough decision and my last day at school was bittersweet. My county offers child-rearing leave in which they hold your job for up to 2 years which is great and gives me peace of mind that I have a job to go back to should I need/want to do so.
That being said, I am in hugely transitional phase and trying to get my footing as a new mom and a stay at home mom. Admittedly, it has been a challenge trying to leave behind the 'old' me and embrace the 'new' me but being a mom is something I have always wanted so I'm looking forward to this new chapter, challenges and all.
As most people who blog do, I love a fresh start and enjoy setting goals for the year so below you'll find the things I'll be working on in 2016.
1. Think positively. I am the worst at having a positive outlook. I'd say it's the thing my husband likes least about me. I imagine the worst case scenario and have a hard time believing in the good. I am always waiting for the other shoe to drop. I have no reason to believe that something bad is going to happen but can't seem to shake the feeling... I'm really hoping to kick this way of thinking permanently in 2016.
2. Drink more water. This is just a no brainer. It was nearly impossible to drink water while teaching P.E., I simply wasn't stationary long enough and carrying around a water bottle just wasn't feasible. Hopefully being home will allow me to drink more water on the regular.
3. Exercise consistently. Again, a no brainer but certainly harder to attain now that there is a baby around but my husband has agreed to come home early one day a week so I can go to Core Power Yoga. Really looking forward to getting back into yoga.
4. Engage with my community. Baltimore offers so many programs, classes, meet-ups, etc for families and I would really like to take advantage of the resources available to us. I've scoped out some classes that I'd like to take the baby to and am looking forward to starting soon!
5. Let go. Of guilt. Of fear. Of all the things that seem to stop me from fully enjoying my life as it is right now. This life is a good one and I don't want to look back and realize I didn't enjoy it because I was too busy being scared or feeling bad about something trivial or planning for the future instead of enjoying the present.
6. Shop less. My big New Year's Resolution is a shopping ban for one year. That's right, no shopping for the entire year of 2016. I should clarify that this means no clothes shopping for myself. I LOVE shopping but I have a ton of clothes and truly don't need more so I'm challenging myself to only wearing what is already in my closet. I plan to post outfits daily on Instagram so if you'd like, you can follow along @the365closet. I'm really hoping I can stick this out. I'll be super proud of myself if I can make it one whole year without shopping.
Cheers to 2016!