February 20, 2012

The Vow

image

My mom, my sister, and I saw The Vow yesterday afternoon. I love R. McAdams but have always considered C. Tatum to be a bit cheesy. She was great and he was not at all cheesy. I thought he did a great job of showing the emotions this character was meant to portray: hope, sadness, frustration, anger, love, etc. I thought the movie was really good but could've afforded a little tweaking (can't all movies though?). Suffice it to say I would've liked a little more at the end of the movie.  If you've seen it, you know what I mean.

I also thought the movie had a clear message: life and love as a choice. Choosing your own path and choosing who travels that path with you. I think sometimes we get caught up in a romanticized ideal that we have absolutely no choice who we fall in love with and that when we do fall in love, no matter the circumstances, it will work out. While I agree with the notion that to a certain extent we can't help who we love, I don't agree with the notion that love is enough. Love, in any form, takes hard work and dedication. I believe when you love someone, you make a choice everyday to love them. You choose and you work. I once read a quote from Home Improvement (who knew Tim "The Toolman" Taylor had sage love advice?) that said, "Everyday we wake up, I choose you, you choose me." I love that quote and it is how I choose to live my marriage.  The Vow embraces that idea, that in life and love, we do have a choice.

Overall, I thought it was a good movie and I am glad I saw it in the theater. It also has a great soundtrack which I promptly downloaded upon exit.

Have you seen The Vow? What did you think?

SHARE:

1 comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig