July 6, 2017

On My Bookshelf: Read in 2017 (so far!)



I have to admit that my reading in 2017 has been s-l-o-w. My Goodreads challenge for 2017 is 26 books and with the year more than half over, I've read only 6 books! I'm going to make an effort to read more and even though it is unlikely I will reach my goal, I know more reading is always a good thing! 

I have not read Marie Kondo's book but it is my understanding that the message is essentially the same (Jay doesn't ascribe to the 'spark joy' aspect of Kondo's book). I love Jay's idea of one in, one out. Meaning if you purchase a new dress another dress needs to leave your house. I'm not the best at employing this tactic but I certainly need to be, ha! A new, updated version was just released according to Jay's website

I'm not usually one for short stories but these were so good! Fun, easy reads that kept me entertained the whole time. If you're a JoJo Moyes fan like myself, I'd highly recommend this set of stories. I could read one of the stories during nap time because of the length and level of engagement the stories provided. 

Stephen Clarke is a great writer and I certainly laughed out loud several times during this book but it just wasn't my cup of tea. I believe this book is part of a trilogy so reading all of them might change my mind.. I don't know. My library had all of them so I might check out the others. I'll report back!

I find Allen Iverson fascinating for so many reasons. His story isn't necessarily unique but the guy had a huge impact on the game of basketball. I can't imagine the immense pressure a young athlete feels when he feels obligated to take care of his friends and family at home. Worth the read if Allen Iverson interests you (or any athlete that struggles with coming into millions and millions of dollars at a young age). I love watching 30 for 30 on ESPN and this is kind of like that in book form. 

This book came out in 2008 and have no earthly idea why it took me so long to read it. It is so, so good. It's a fictional account of one of our recent First Ladies (I won't spoil it in case anyone wants to read it) but some of the events in the book happened in real life so it's pretty easy to figure out. It chronicles the life of Alice Lindgren from her quiet, bookish life to the White House and her internal struggle over the course her life has taken. 

I'm a big Emma Straub fan. I loved The Vacationers and Modern Lovers did not disappoint, either. It follows the modern day life of 3 college friends now living in the same neighborhood in Brooklyn. Straub's characters are so well-developed that when the book ends, it feels like saying goodbye to friends! This book is a must read, in my opinion. 

Linking up with Natalie, Annie, and Julie for Thoughts for Thursday!



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig