May 8, 2012

Turkey Meatballs

Since I've talked a lot on this blog about cooking and learning to cook, I thought I'd share with you one of my favorite recipes to cook. Turkey meatballs adapted from the recipe below by one of my favorite TV chefs, Giada de Laurentiis. The prep time is a bit longer but the recipes makes so many meatballs that you will have dinner for at least four nights. My favorite thing to do when I cook is put on music and pour myself a glass of wine. It makes the process that much more enjoyable for me so I love it when a recipe has a longer prep time because that means more music & wine! 

Ingredients

  • 1 small onion, grated
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
  • 3 tablespoons ketchup
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves*
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
  • 1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano*
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 pound ground dark turkey meat
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil  *
Ingredients {forgot to get the bread crumbs out for the pic}

All the scrumptious seasonings in the bowl!

Ready to go in the oven!


Finished but looking lonely on the plate. I served these with a little pasta sauce for dipping and asparagus.


Directions

Add the onion, garlic, egg, bread crumbs, ketchup, parsley, Parmesan, Pecorino, salt and pepper to a large bowl and blend. Mix in the turkey. Shape the turkey mixture into 1 1/4-inch-diameter meatballs. Place on a large plate or baking sheet. 

Heat the oil in a heavy large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and saute until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Turn off heat. Transfer the meatballs to a plate. Pour off any excess oil. Add the marinara sauce, about 3 cups. Return all the meatballs to the pan. Turn the heat to medium-low and simmer until the sauce thickens slightly and the flavors blend, 15 to 20 minutes. Season the sauce, to taste, with salt and pepper. *

Transfer the meatball mixture to a serving bowl. Serve with toothpicks. 
 
*My Adaptations
  •  I use dried basil instead of parsley leaves and I don't adjust it. I just 1/4 cup of dried basil leaves
  • Instead of Pecorino Romano, I use Goat Cheese. 
  • I don't use olive oil because I don't saute the meatballs. Instead, I cook them in the oven on a greased cookie sheet for about 15 minutes, flip them, and cook them for 10 minutes more. I just find it to be easier than sauteing them.  Do whatever your little heart desires!
These meatballs are soooo good! I love the flavor and they are not too heavy for being meatballs. I usually just serve the meatballs by themselves with a little sauce and some veggies, but I'm sure they'd be good with pasta as well.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig