July 20, 2015

Fewer, Better Things

Many of you are probably familiar with the brand Cuyana that makes gorgeous leather totes and beautiful clothing. Their company philosophy is "fewer, better things" and they strive to create products that will last a lifetime rather than a few months. This idea has been in my head for quite some time now and especially as I have been cleaning out closets and reorganizing our house in anticipation of our little one's arrival in a few months. 

Last weekend, I tackled my side of the closet and although I look at my closet every day, I was a little shocked by a.) the amount of clothing I own and b.) the amount of clothing I own that is cheaply made, doesn't fit correctly, or is simply too trendy. So out went a lot of clothes to be shipped off to Threadflip to be sold. I use their full service option in which you send your clothes in and they photograph and list them for you. It isn't the best way to do this but in all honesty, I am too lazy to photograph and list the clothing myself. 

Being pregnant and all, I am not purchasing a lot of clothes right now except those that I absolutely need to get my through this period of time. But now that I have weeded my closet and will eventually start to add pieces to it, I plan to follow the fewer, better things philosophy. Let's be real, I wear mostly t-shirts, sweaters, jeans, and leggings. I am a very casual person by nature but I think sometimes I force myself to buy clothes that are "in style" to keep up with the fashion choices of those around me. This has led to my current state: a closet full of clothes that I don't wear because they aren't comfortable or aren't "me." If you look at my Pinterest clothing board here is a sampling of what you would see:





Casual but polished and put together. This is not what my closet currently reflects and that needs to change. Too often I find myself buying a $35 dress here, a $20 shirt there and eventually that adds up and I am unable to spend more on a piece that I truly love because I've spent little bits over time instead of waiting to purchase something that may be more expensive but is nicer and will last longer. Call this a side effect of reading blogs on the regular. Almost every blog I read features some kind of sale at least 2-3 times a week (i.e. did you know that Nordstrom is having a sale right now?? LOL) and it is hard not to get caught up in purchasing something especially when it looks great on someone else and is on sale. Going forward, I am vowing to only purchase items I love, will wear for a long period, and that will last me for a long period of time. Not just something to feed my need for instant gratification. 

What do you think of the fewer, better things philosophy? 


SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Ummm any clothes I can have?? I will take your old stuff :)

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig